Applications not importing / showing up in interface

Sep 8, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Hello,

Scenario - Win 2008 x64 R2 - MDT 2008 Update 1

First of all, thank you for this amazing tool. Second, i have everything working (i think :)) except that when i try and import my applications.xml from my deploy point, it says it completed successfully, but there are no apps that appear in the interface. I even checked the SQL table where they should be stored and i found none.

Now whats interesting is that if i add an Application to a Role/Machine etc, using MDT's own workbench, i will then see it show up as a GUID in the Application list and the other Web Front End interfaces, yet even when that happens i dont see anythign in the Applications table. This leads me to belive that it can only "see" applications that are actaully associated with other MDT objects such as roles/machines etc.

Any advice or logs i can view to tshoot this??

Thansk in advance!!

Coordinator
Nov 19, 2010 at 9:49 AM

The MDT Workbench is also storing the GUID in the Database but as it is also connected to the DeploymentShare it has access to the Applications.xml file that maps the GUID to the Application name. This way it's able to present the "friendly Name" to the End User. The FrontEnd itself doesn't have a connection to the DeploymentShare. So to be able to present the names one needs to import the Applications.xml file into the FrontEnd. Please see this post http://myitforum.com/cs2/blogs/maikkoster/archive/2010/03/05/mdt-web-frontend-how-to-handle-mdt-applications-in-the-frontend.aspx for further information.

Regards

Maik

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:55 AM

I am using a powershell script ( http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2009/09/09/sorting-the-contents-of-an-mdt-2010-deployment-share.aspx) to "sort" the folders and contents in the MDT console (That really really needs to be in the next update!!  ;) ) Since the frontend is using the guid, do i need to re-import the applications file after sorting?

Coordinator
Nov 24, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Yes, that would be a great addition. The problem with this is, that the current version just cares about the Database portion. So far there is no connection to the Deployment share. I would love to also have (at least some) parts of the workbench also available in the FrontEnd so it can connect to different deployment shares itself. But I'm pretty sure that this won't be available in the upcoming release. Maybe the next one ;-)

Regarding the sorting itself. It shouldn't be necessary to import the application.xml again as the frontend is just using it to map GUID to Name and the GUID doesn't change by the re-ordering (or at least it shouldn't change).

Regards

Maik