Objects created directly in DB does not display all settings in the Web Frontend

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:14 AM

When I create a role/computer/makemodel object directly in the DB from the Deployment Workbench I can only see/edit the settings on the object that was actually set on the object on creation in the Web FrontEnd.
Whats worse is that this varies from time to time. Just now, I created a new computer object in the DB from the Workbench. I specified only Description, Serialnumber and set the OSDComputerName setting.
I then took a look at the object in the Web FrontEnd and the only setting that was presented to me was the OSInstall setting!!??

As I understand it, I should be presented with all the settings on the objects at all times as my account is linked to the group that displays all MDT 2010 Settings. 
Whats funny is that it seems that all objects actually created in the Web FrontEnd is displayed correctly at all times.

Does anyone have an idea to what might be wrong here? We must have the ability to work both directly in the DB and in the Web Frontend. 

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2010 at 10:40 AM

That's a bug in the FrontEnd about the way it handles NULL values. Under some circumstances it can't read/display values that are set to NULL. The FrontEnd contains a quickfix for this problem. Just open the link http://YourWebServer/YourFrontEndDir/Admin/ReplaceNULLValues. This will update all NULL values with an empty string.

This will be fixed in the next version.

Regards

Maik

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:29 PM
Edited Dec 22, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Oh I see. Thanks alot! This fixed the issue as described. A followup question though. Does this "ReplaceNULLValues" actually edit/do something with the database that might cause any other problems?

EDIT: Also, this is not a permanent fix is it? You have to run this command every time a new object is created in the workbench\db, right? (Until the update is released offcourse)

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2010 at 1:53 PM

It shouldn't cause any problems as it just replaces all NULL values with an empty string. And no, it's not a permanent fix.

Dec 22, 2010 at 2:05 PM

Ok, thanks for speedy responses!